Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Visceral Response

I was walking in the Forum Shops in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas sometime in 2011. There was a two story watch store filled with Rolexes and Breightlings and Audemars, all of which were impressive timepieces to behold and all of which I wouldn't mind owning myself. I was perusing the many glass cases filled with 2,000 or 3,000 or 10,000 dollar watches when I came across this - the Devon Tread 1.
 

This was a watch like nothing I had ever seen before. Among the rows of circular faced, 3 hand, rotating diving bezeled, golden and platinum pieces surrounding it, this piece truly stood out because it had none of those things. 

Instead, the Tread features rotating belts for the hours, minutes and seconds - each converging in the center to display the time. I loved the parallel lines of the hour and second belts, and how they are placed equidistant from the parallel lines at the top and  bottom of the watch. The minute belt, although not quit perpendicular, is still perfectly spaced from the sides and creates the perfect contrast to help the other belts stand out above it, while still standing out itself. Myriad gears, springs, screws, and even a small microprocessor come together underneath to create a somewhat busy background that serves almost as empty space compared to how strongly the belts catch the eyes. The movement is enclosed in a curved glass shield that allows you to see every moving part. The parts are mounted on a special chassis that gives the "illusion that the parts are floating within the case." If you polished it, you may not even know there was glass there at all, save for the slight refraction of light on the gentle curves. 

I started to get sweaty just looking at it. I love neutral colors and the watch was only flat black and white with polished silver accents. Neutral colors are elegant. They go with every other color, but they go best by themselves. I happened to be wearing all black as well, as I peered into the case. It would really tie the ensemble together. 

The sales associate at the store could see my shallow breathing and glossy eyes, I'm sure, so he approached and implored me to try it on. I agreed and as he unlocked the case I asked how much the watch cost. 

$17,500.

I quickly stopped him. I was looking for something "more expensive." That was a lie, but a watch of that caliber and beauty was like a woman who was out of my league. I may have the chance to hold her once for a fleeting moment, but I could never truly have her. The thrilling moment would only make the pain worse after it was all over. 

Someday I'll be back for her. 

1 comment:

  1. This is truly an amazing, and beautiful watch. I love your description of the watch. I felt as though I was being taken on a tour through the watch like it were a factory. Even more so, I loved your reaction and response to the price of the watch. I could sense the emotions you were feeling. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete